Friday, January 9, 2009

Twitter: is NOT just a Social Site, it is a Prayerful site

Recently, my husband has had a medical issue that was extremely hard for my family to deal with. With all the normal trials and tribulations we go through on a daily basis, this one just put us through the ringer.

It started off around the new year. My husband was suffering from some chest pain and he could not get comfortable. We just thought, maybe he had a pulled muscle or something, as it didn't seem so bad.

Well as the days went on the pain kept getting worse. So my husband being the "geek daddy" he is decided to look around on WEB MD to put in his symptoms and see if he could figure out what this might be. All the symptoms either pointed to a heart attack, which we ruled out pretty quick since it was a week already, or gall bladder/gall stones.

My husband finally gave in to the pain and asked to go to the ER. So on Monday the 5Th. I bundled up our 2 daughters, got the 2 older sons off to school and took the 20 minute trek up to the hospital.

After a day full of testing, what the doctor found made us speechless. He told us that my husband had a "mass" 6 cm in size (about the size of a tennis ball) behind his heart, 1 lung, and esophagus. The mass was pushing on these things and that is what was causing his pain.
We were totally in shock ! Speechless, just gazing in each others eyes all teary eyed.

I had to physically leave and go outside to get some air, as I immediately had an anxiety attack.
The tears wouldn't stop flowing. but I knew for my husband and my kids I had to get myself together and be brave and strong for us.
I called my mom to just hear her voice, it always seems to calm me, and she always knows what to say to get me "together".

After talking to her, I went back into the room with my husband and the doctor. The doctor said he would need to be admitted and more testing would need to be done and also a biopsy.
We did what the doctor said. My husband went through tons more tests, CT scans, blood work, x-rays, and everything.

He was made comfortable with pain medicine so he could rest and not be in pain.
After I came home the first night I was extremely tired and worn down. I needed to talk to someone, anyone who would listen. But it was late, and I couldn't call people at this hour, so I decided to get online.

I sent an email out to people who I knew so they would pray for us. I got him put on pray chains everywhere I could think of. A wonderful friend of mine, Kim, (you may know her as @craftymamaof4) put out a "tweet" about him over twitter.

The next day I checked my email before going to visit him. And I couldn't believe my weary teary eyes !

TONS of people all over, some I knew, Some I didn't, some I have "talked" to before online over twitter and some, I didn't even know existed.
There were so many emails, @replies, and Direct messages, all telling me words of encouragement, That I CAN DO THIS, BE STRONG, WE CAN GET THROUGH THIS, WE ARE HERE FOR YOU, even some put their phone numbers and said if I need to talk, vent, yell, whatever, I could call them.

I was in another state of shock, but this time a good one. I couldn't believe the outpouring of people who were genuinely concerned for me and my family, and husband.
It was so humbling.

I think it was then that I started to get my faith back, that I knew, I COULD do this, and WE would get through this.

Well, to make a longer story shorter, My husband had the biopsy done, it ends up what he has is a cyst on his esophagus, they drained 100cc's of fluid from it. He does need surgery, which he is getting on Monday morning, but the biopsy of the fluid shows NO CANCER. WHEW !
They will do another biopsy of the membrane once the surgery is done, to see if it is but I suspect in my heart it wont be.

They did send him home yesterday, so he is here, not in any pain, and doing well. I am trying to keep up his spirits, and still be strong.

The surgery is supposed to last about 3 hours. So, I will definitely keep everyone posted on Monday after it is done.

I am just soooooooo glad that TWITTER was there for me. I know it may seem weird to some of you who don't know what Twitter is, or who may have never had an experience like this. But it truly WAS not just a Social Media, Business Networking site for me that night.
That night it was (to me) a PRAYER NETWORKING SITE and SOCIAL UPLIFTING AND ENCOURAGEMENT SITE.

I was more thankful than ever to be a part of such a wonderful site, and no matter what time of day/night it is some one is always on there for you to listen and be there.
THANK YOU TWITTER AND ALL MY TWITTER FRIENDS, I TRULY APPRECIATE YOU !!!
- Who would've ever known that that little blue bird people follow could mean so much !!!





A HUGE THANK YOU to ALL of you who have sent me messages I truly appreciate it, and Keep up the Prayers, We still need them until he is home safe and sound for good. Thank You and May God Bless you ALL!!!

8 comments:

The Consumer Queen said...

I am so glad he is ok! I have been praying for you! And you are right about Twitter!

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

That is so awesome and I just think how happy it must make God for His kids to be looking out for each other like that!

conniereece said...

You experienced the power of community on Twitter. People do care! I'm so glad they reached out to you, and very, very glad to hear the no cancer report!

Meredith@MerchantShips said...

What a wonderful story of support! I hope everything continues to look great for him.

Hang in there!

Diane said...

Keep you spirits up and I will be thinking about your family on Monday during his operation

Sandy Jenney said...

You have been through so much in the last couple of weeks!!
I wanted to give you some encouragement in the blogging world! I have given you an award. Go to my site to pick it up!

The POSHpreneur said...

I am SO GLAD that you were comforted by so many ppl! It is amazing how many ppl there are out there that care for complete strangers enough to PRAY and ENCOURAGE one another! That's so awesome.

grannyvon said...

It is 5:07 PM Central time and I am just reading this on your website. I don't know what Twitter is either but I still can pray. I e-mailed all my Sunday School Members who form a prayer chain. We are now praying for complete recovery for your husband and strength and courage for you and your family. God never lets anything be put on us that we cannot withstand. He KNEW you could make it. Remember the devil comes to kill, steal and distroy but Jesus came to give LIFE. He died not only for our sins but for our healing as well. Keep us posted!